Frankfurt am Main - Judengasse ("Jewish Lane") (Börnestraße) 1870
Judengasse 1870

Judengasse-view south
Judengasse nach Süden
ca. 1870

The oldest Jewish quarter in Frankfurt was located in the area just south of the Cathedral.  The Jews were driven from the city in 1349, but began to return to that same area after about 1360.  A hundred years later, in 1460, they were again forcibly removed from the city by decree of Friedrich III and re-settled in the northern part of the Wollgraben, just outside the 13th Century city walls between the Bornheim Gate and the Dominican Cloister.  The quarter was separated from the rest of the city by three special gates.  That lane was very narrow and consisted to the large part of small half-timbered cottages.  Numerous fires repeatedly destroyed large sections, but rebuilding did little to change the character of the lane.  In 1808, under the Dahlberg administration the gates between this Jewish Quarter and the rest of the city were removed, and by 1811, Jews were again finally allowed to live outside of the Ghetto.  This picture shows  the  still preserved southern portion of the lane.  In 1874 the west side was razed, and in 1885, the east side.  

Das älteste Quartier der Juden in Frankfurt befand sich südlich vom Dom.  Auch als sie nach ihrer Vertreibung 1349 von ca. 1360 ab zurückkehrten, ließen sie sich vorwiegend wieder in dieser Gegend nieder, Erst 100 Jahre später 1460 wurden sie auf wiederholten Befehl Friedrichs III. von der Stadt zwangsweise aus ihren zerstreut liegenden Wohnungen vertrieben und im nördlichen Teil des Wollgrabens, außerhalb der Mauer des 13. Jh., von der Bornheimer Pforte bis in die Gegend des Dominikanerklosters, durch drei besondere Tore von der übrigen Stadt abgeschlossen, angesiedelt. Die Gasse war sehr eng und bestand aus einer großen Zahl schmaler Fachwerkhäuschen mit Giebeln oder kleinen Zwerchhäusern. Mehrfache Brände äscherten große Teile immer wieder ein, der Wiederaufbau änderte aber den Charakter der Gasse nur wenig. 1808 unter der Regierung Dalbergs wurden die Tore beseitigt, 18 11 den Juden das Wohnen außerhalb des Ghettos wieder gestattet. Die Abbildungen geben den noch bis in die zweite Hälfte des 19. Jh. erhaltenen südlichen Teil der Gasse. 1874 wurde die Westseite, 1885 die Ostseite niedergelegt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Das Judenviertel  / The Jewish Quarter:

Judengasse Jewish Lane (Börnestrasse)
Das Stammhaus der Rothschild. 
(The Rotshchild ancestral home)
Börneplatz
(Boerne Square)
Alter Judenfriedhof
(The Old Jewish Cemetery)
Map / Kartenausschnitt

 

 

Frankfurt am Main
Altstadt 2 (Old City 2)
Staufenmauer-Graben
Between the Staufen Walls and the "Graben", The medieval expansion area.

Allerheiligenstrasse
All Saints Street, Breitgasse "Wide Lane",
Einhornplätzchen The Little Unicorn Square, Fahrgasse,
Fischerfeld Fisher Field,  Goldfedergasse Gold Feather Lane,
GoldLöwenpätzchen The Little Square of the Golden Lion, 
Grosser Hirschgraben
, Holzgraben Wood Moat,
Judengasse Jewish Lane (Boerne Strasse)
Boerneplatz Boerne Square, Friedhof The Jewish Cemetery, Rothschild Stammhaus Rothschild's Ancestral Home,
Kornmarkt  The Corn Market, Liebfrauenberg, Seckbächergasse Seckbach Lane,
Töngesgasse
Toenges Lane,  Ziegelgasse Brick Lane
Altstadtkern - The Heart of the Old City