The Golden Book of Frankfurt am Main

AltFrankfurt.com
    

Search
Suche

Home

Site Map

 

Dom
Cathedral

Römer
Town Hall

Römerberg

Altstadt
Old City

Altstadt 2
Old City

Altstadt 3
Old City

Der Main
The River

Stadtteile
City Districts

 

Kirchen
Churches

Stadttürme
City Towers

 

 Goethehaus
Goethe's House

Kaiserkrönung
Coronation

Im Wandel der Zeiten 
Through the Ages

Das Goldene Buch
The Golden Book

 

Zeppelin!

Bahn
Rail

 

The Ruins of War
Kriegsruinen

 

Verschiedenes
Miscellaneous

 Stimmung
Music

Weihnachten
Christmas

Old Pages

Email
NorbiEtOrbi
Steve

 

Visitors/Besucher

Hit Counter

Frankfurt am Main
Römer (Rathaus)
Roemer (City Hall)

Views of the Old City of Frankfurt am Main before the Wars
Ansichten der Altstadt von Frankfurt am Main.

Roemer 1904
Festzug/Procession, 1904

  The three Gothic step-gables of Frankfurt's Town Hall have become the symbol of the city.  They are the three houses called Alt Limpurg (Old Limpurg), Roemer (The Roman), and Loewenstein (Lion's Stone).  Later, the newer attached houses of Frauenstein and Salzhaus (Salt House), were incorporated, as well as the Houses Wanebach, Silberberg, Viole, Frauenrode, Schwarzenfels (the last three pulled down in 1900 to make way for New Town Hall in 1901), and Golden Swan, until, in all, eleven houses comprised the Roemer (see the plan).  After passing  the entry portal of the Roemer, the main areas of the interior included the Emperor's Hall and Emperor's Staircase, the Elector's Chamber (which all functioned in the coronations of the German Emperors), as well as a fair and exhibition hall.  To the rear of the House Roemer is it's Renaissance courtyard, the Roemerhoefchen.

The Roemer sits on what was the city's major square in the Middle Ages, the Roemerberg (Roman Hill), which we look at in a separate section.  Since it's near total destruction in WWII, the Roemer complex has been rebuilt to a degree, though for the most part, except for the famous facade, in a stylized, modernized form.  Only the House Silberberg survives unaltered.

Die drei gotischen Staffelgiebel des Rathauses sind zum Wahrzeichen Frankfurts geworden. Es sind die drei Häuser 'Alt-Limpurg', 'Römer' und 'Löwenstein'. Die neu gebauten Häuser 'Frauenstein' und 'Salzhaus' schlossen sich, genau so wie die Häuser 'Wanebach', 'Silberberg', 'Viole', 'Frauenrode' und 'Schwarzenberg`(die letzten drei wurden 1900 niedergerissen und machten dadurch Platz für das im Jahr 1901 vollendete 'neue Rathaus') sowie der 'Goldene Schwan'. Alles in allem umfasst der Römer elf Häuser (siehe Plan). Hinter dem Hauptportal des Römers fand man die Kaisertreppe, den Kaisersaal, das Wahlzimmer (die alle bei der Krönung der Deutschen Kaiser genutzt wurden) und eine Ausstellungs- und Messehalle. Auf der Rückseite des Römers ist der Hof aus der Zeit der Renaissance, das Römerhöfchen.

Der Römer befindet sich auf dem Hauptplatz der Stadt im Mittelalter, dem Römerberg, den wir in einem separaten Bereich zeigen. Seit seiner nahezu völligen Zerstörung im II. Weltkrieg wurde der Komplex in einer stilisierten moderneren Form wieder aufgebaut. Die berühmte Fassade wurde rekonstruiert. Nur das Haus Silberberg überlebte unverändert.

 

Rathaus
Neues Rathaus
New City Hall

Emperor's Hall/Kaisersaal
Kaisersaal
Emperor's Hall

 

Views of The Town Hall
House Roemer
(2), (3), Little Courtyard, New Town Hall, Salt House, House Wanebach, Fountain of Justice

Ansichten
Haus Römer
(2), (3), Römerhöfchen, Neues Rathaus, Salzhaus, Haus Wanebach, Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen

Inside the Roemer
 Emperor's Staircase, Emperor's Hall, Elector's Chambers, Medieval Exhibition Hall, Rotunda

Inneres
 Kaisertreppe, Kaisersaal, Kurfürstenzimmer, Messhalle, Rotunde

Historic Events
Hindenburg in 1925, Kennedy 1963, Imperial Banquets, etc.

Historische Ereignisse
Hindenburg 1925, Kennedy 1963, usw.

Roemer & Roemerberg through artist's eyes

Römer & Römerberg gesehen mit den Augen von Künstlern

See also:

Auch:

Roemerberg

Römerberg

Ruins of War

Kriegsruinen

Imperial Coronation

Kaiserkrönung