The Golden Book of Frankfurt am Main

AltFrankfurt.com
    

Search
Suche

Home

Site Map

 

Dom
Cathedral

Römer
Town Hall

Römerberg

Altstadt
Old City

Altstadt 2
Old City

Altstadt 3
Old City

Der Main
The River

Stadtteile
City Districts

 

Kirchen
Churches

Stadttürme
City Towers

 

 Goethehaus
Goethe's House

Kaiserkrönung
Coronation

Im Wandel der Zeiten 
Through the Ages

Das Goldene Buch
The Golden Book

 

Zeppelin!

Bahn
Rail

 

The Ruins of War
Kriegsruinen

 

Verschiedenes
Miscellaneous

 Stimmung
Music

Weihnachten
Christmas

Old Pages

Email
NorbiEtOrbi
Steve

 

Visitors/Besucher

Hit Counter

Frankfurt am Main
Das Stammhaus der Rothschild
Judengasse - Judenviertel
The Ancestral Home of the Rothschilds
Jewish Quarter
Views of the Old City of Frankfurt am Main before the Wars
Ansichten der Altstadt von Frankfurt am Main.

jud_1.jpg (20372 bytes)
House of the Green Shield, ancestral home of the Banker Family Rothschild (Red Shield) in the Judengasse.  From a photo by Hertel, ca. 1880
Haus "Zum grünen Schild"
,das Stammhaus der Bankiersfamilie Rothschild in der Judengasse, auf einem Foto von Hertel ca 1880

By command of the Emperor Friedrich III in 1462, all of Frankfurts Jews were forced to exchange their quarter just south of the Cathedral with this area near the Wollgraben.  The Ghetto was separated from the rest of the city by three gates, and all Jews were forced to live there until 1796 when the area was bombarded by French Revolutionary troops, and half the street burned down.  Around 4000 people lived on the oppressive narrow lane (400m long and at some parts only 3m wide).  The gates to the Ghetto were first removed in 1808.

In 1886, most the remainder of the lane was cleared except for a section of half timbered houses beginning at the Rothschild House.  In 1977, during construction of the City Works Client Center, a few foundations were found.  There has since been a call throughout Germany, widely covered by the press, for a "Museum Judengasse" at this original location.

Im Jahre 1462 mußten die Frankfurter Juden auf Befehl Kaiser Friedrichs III. ihre angestammten Wohnquartiere südlich des Doms mit dem Wollgraben vor der staufischen Stadtmauer vertauschen. Hier entstand die Judengasse. Ein Ghetto, das von der übrigen Stadt durch drei Tore abgegrenzt war, in dem die jüdische Bevölkerung bis zur Beschießung Frankfurts durch französische Revolutionstruppen im Jahre 1796, bei der die halbe Gasse abbrannte, leben mußten. Zum Schluß wohnten dort in drangvoller Enge, die Gasse war ca. 400 m lang and stellenweise nur drei Meter breit, ca. 4 000 Menschen. Erst 1808 wurden die Tore des Ghettos beseitigt.

1886 wurde der Rest der Gasse, die bis auf eine Ausnahme aus Fachwerkhausern bestand and heruntergekommen war, bis auf das Rothschildsche Stammhaus abgebrochen. 1977 wurde beim Bau des Kundenzentrums der Stadtwerke ein kleiner Teil der Fundamente gefunden. Sie sind nach einem Streit, der bundesweit durch die Presse ging, heute an ihrem ursprünglichen Standort im "Museum Judengasse" zu sehen.

 

Judengasse 1869, Rothschildhaus
Ancestral house of the Rothschilds
Stammhaus der Familie Rothschild
1869

The building was actually two houses under one roof, the "House of the Red Shield" (Rothen Schild) on the left, and the "House of the Ship" on the right, with a common ground floor, but completely divided in the upper stories, three windows wide.  By 1886, when the underlying facade was exposed during the creation of the new Boernestrasse, it was one of the few remaining examples of the narrow half-timbered building of the old "Judengasse."  The building dated to the 17th Century.   Mayer Amschel, the patriarch, father of the famous "Five Frankfurters" was born in the House of the Red Shield in 1743.  He bought the house in 1780.

In der Mitte wie ein Haus wirkend, unter einem Dach und mit einem Zwerchhaus das Haus zum "Rothen Schild" links und das Haus "zum Schiff" rechts, jedes der beiden im Untergeschoß zwei, in den Obergeschossen drei Achsen breit. Die Hausgruppe, 1886 durch Zurücksetzung der Fassade in die Flucht der neuen Börnestraße gerückt, ist das einzig erhaltene Beispiel der schmalen Fachwerkhäuser der alten Judengasse. Ihr Baubestand geht bis in das 17. Jh. zurück. In dem Haus zum "Rothen Schild" ist Mayer Amschel, der Vater der "Fünf Frankfurter", 1743 geboren worden; 1780 hat er das Haus gekauft.

 

Rothschildhaus, Boernerstrasse

Rotschildhausffm.jpg (48404 bytes) 0

"Rothschildhaus",  Börnestraße (Judengasse)

 

Das Judenviertel  / The Jewish Quarter:

Judengasse Jewish Lane (Börnestrasse)
Das Stammhaus der Rothschild. 
(The Rotshchild ancestral home)
Börneplatz
(Boerne Square)
Alter Judenfriedhof
(The Old Jewish Cemetery)
Map / Kartenausschnitt

 

 

Frankfurt am Main
Altstadt 2 (Old City 2)
Staufenmauer-Graben
Between the Staufen Walls and the "Graben", The medieval expansion area.

Allerheiligenstrasse
All Saints Street, Breitgasse "Wide Lane",
Einhornplätzchen The Little Unicorn Square, Fahrgasse,
Fischerfeld Fisher Field,  Goldfedergasse Gold Feather Lane,
GoldLöwenpätzchen The Little Square of the Golden Lion, 
Grosser Hirschgraben
, Holzgraben Wood Moat,
Judengasse Jewish Lane (Boerne Strasse)
Boerneplatz Boerne Square, Friedhof The Jewish Cemetery, Rothschild Stammhaus Rothschild's Ancestral Home,
Kornmarkt  The Corn Market, Liebfrauenberg, Seckbächergasse Seckbach Lane,
Töngesgasse
Toenges Lane,  Ziegelgasse Brick Lane
Altstadtkern - The Heart of the Old City